The Tourist was rated PG-13 for "violence and brief strong language." This was the same rating that all prior Angelina Jolie action movies (with the exception of Wanted) have received, though outside of the Pirates of the Caribbean series, Johnny Depp has mostly avoided PG-13 movies in the last decade or so. The Tourist travels to theaters on Dec. 10, opposite The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
James L. Brooks's How Do You Know earned an R rating for "some language," though producers are appealing that rating. Recent Brooks movies Spanglish and As Good as It Gets were each rated PG-13, while his last R-rated movie was Broadcast News in 1987. Based on the MPAA's relatively strict language standards, it's likely the moviemakers will have to submit a different version in order for the movie to get a PG-13. Starring Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson, Paul Rudd and Jack Nicholson, the romantic comedy opens Dec. 17 against Tron: Legacy and Yogi Bear.
Burlesque was awarded a PG-13 for "sexual content including several suggestive dance routines, partial nudity, language and some thematic material." Starring Christina Aguilera, Cher, Kristen Bell and more, the drama hits theaters Thanksgiving weekend along with Tangled, Love and Other Drugs and Faster.
Country Strong was rated PG-13 for "thematic elements involving alcohol abuse and some sexual content." This contrasted last year's similarly-themed Crazy Heart, which was rated R. Featuring Gwyneth Paltrow as a fallen country music star, the drama opens in limited release on Dec. 22 before expanding nationwide on Jan. 7 against Season of the Witch.
The latest adaptation of Jane Eyre received a PG-13 rating for "some thematic elements including a nude image and brief violent content." Starring Alice in Wonderland's Mia Wasikowska in the title role, the movie opens in limited release on Mar. 11.
• MPAA Ratings: 'Adjustment Bureau,' 'Harry Potter,' 'Monte Carlo'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Narnia 3,' 'Yogi Bear,' 'Skyline' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'For Colored Girls,' 'Tangled'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part One)'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Megamind,' 'The Next Three Days'
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Social Network,' 'Morning Glory' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Let Me In,' 'Hereafter' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Avatar: Special Edition,' 'Resident Evil 4,' 'The Town' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Devil,' 'Machete'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Due Date,' 'Red,' 'The American' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Predators,' 'Tree of Life'
• New MPAA Ratings Chart