Since Avatar: Special Edition includes additional footage not previously released, it needed to be resubmitted to the ratings board. Unsurprisingly, the result was the same as before, with the re-release earning a PG-13 for "intense epic battle sequences and warfare, sensuality, language and some smoking." Avatar: Special Edition opens exclusively at an estimated 750 3D and IMAX 3D locations on Aug. 27 opposite Going the Distance, The Last Exorcism and Takers.
Resident Evil: Afterlife received an R rating for "sequences of strong violence and language." The first three movies in the Resident Evil series were also rated R and earned $142 million combined. Afterlife is currently the only nationwide release scheduled for Sept. 10.
There are four major releases the week after Afterlife, three of which were assigned ratings this morning. Ben Affleck's crime drama The Town was rated R for "strong violence, pervasive language, some sexuality and drug use." This is Affleck's second directorial effort following Gone Baby Gone, which grossed $20.3 million in 2007. High school-set romantic comedy Easy A was deemed worthy of a PG-13 rating for "mature thematic elements involving teen sexuality, language and some drug material." Meanwhile, Lionsgate animated movie Alpha and Omega was tagged with a PG rating for "rude humor and some mild action." These three movies face M. Night Shyamalan-produced, PG-13-rated horror movie Devil on Sept. 17.
While Piranha 3D's rating has been advertised for a few weeks now, it was finally made official this morning. The creature feature has been rated R for "sequences of strong bloody horror violence and gore, graphic nudity, sexual content, language and some drug use." It opens next weekend against Vampires Suck, Nanny McPhee Returns, Lottery Ticket and The Switch.
Aside from all of the major releases receiving ratings this week, a handful of smaller but still significant movies also received the MPAA treatment. Buried was rated R for "language and some violent content." Starring Ryan Reynolds as a contractor buried alive in Iraq, the movie opens in limited release Sept. 24 with a nationwide expansion scheduled for Oct. 8.
127 Hours, which marks Danny Boyle's first directorial effort since Slumdog Millionaire, earned an R rating for "language and some disturbing violent content/bloody images." The movie, which tells the true story of a mountain climber (James Franco) who becomes trapped under a boulder and is forced to go to extreme measures to save himself, debuts in limited release on Nov. 5.
Darren Aronofsky's latest movie Black Swan was assigned an R rating for "strong sexual content, disturbing violent images, language and some drug use." Starring Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis as rival ballet dancers, the thriller opens in limited release on Wednesday, Dec. 1.
The Virginity Hit was rated R for "strong crude and sexual content, nudity, pervasive language, drug and alcohol use." Produced by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay, the movie was recently announced at this year's San Diego Comic-Con and distributor Sony will open it in limited release on Sept. 10.
Finally, documentary Inside Job, which purports to detail the causes of the financial meltdown, was rated PG-13 for "some drug and sex-related material," and opens in select theaters on Oct. 8.
• MPAA Ratings: 'Devil,' 'Machete'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Due Date,' 'Red,' 'The American' and More• MPAA Ratings: 'Predators,' 'Tree of Life'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Saw VII,' 'The Girl Who Played with Fire'
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Last Airbender,' 'The Expendables,' 'The Last Exorcism'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Salt,' 'Dinner for Schmucks,' 'Jonah Hex' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Knight & Day,' 'Eat Pray Love,' 'Grease Sing-Along' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The A-Team,' 'Step Up 3-D'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Toy Story 3,' 'Grown Ups,' 'Sorcerer's Apprentice,' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Inception,' 'Killers,' 'Cabin in the Woods'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Nightmare on Elm Street,' 'Sex and the City 2,' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Iron Man 2,' 'Going the Distance,' 'The Rum Diary'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Death at a Funeral,' 'Animal Kingdom,' 'Last Night'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Splice,' 'Your Highness,' 'Secretariat'
• New MPAA Ratings Chart