MPAA Ratings: 'Saw VII,' 'The Girl Who Played with Fire'
Following in the footsteps of its six predecessors, Saw VII has been rated R for "sequences of grisly bloody violence and torture, and language." While this appears to live up to the series' gore standards, producers hope to take things a step further with the addition of 3D. This change comes in the wake of decent returns for last year's 3D horror titles The Final Destination and My Bloody Valentine 3-D and as a result of Saw VI's miserable run. Due to lazy advertising and unusually strong competition from Paranormal Activity (as well as natural franchise fatigue), Saw VI had by-far the series' worst performance yet, grossing just $27.7 million. Saw VII currently shares its Oct. 22 release date with Paranormal Activity 2.
Foreign sequel The Girl Who Played with Fire was awarded an R rating for "brutal violence including a rape, some strong sexual content, nudity and language." Predecessor The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has made $8.7 million since opening Mar. 19, making it the highest-grossing limited-only release of 2010 thus far. The Girl Who Played with Fire, which has already earned over $50 million overseas, hits select theaters on July 9.
• 2010 Preview: 'Saw VII (in 3D)'
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Last Airbender,' 'The Expendables,' 'The Last Exorcism'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Salt,' 'Dinner for Schmucks,' 'Jonah Hex' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Knight & Day,' 'Eat Pray Love,' 'Grease Sing-Along' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The A-Team,' 'Step Up 3-D'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Toy Story 3,' 'Grown Ups,' 'Sorcerer's Apprentice,' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Inception,' 'Killers,' 'Cabin in the Woods'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Nightmare on Elm Street,' 'Sex and the City 2,' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Iron Man 2,' 'Going the Distance,' 'The Rum Diary'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Death at a Funeral,' 'Animal Kingdom,' 'Last Night'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Splice,' 'Your Highness,' 'Secretariat'
• New MPAA Ratings Chart