Sucker Punch was rated PG-13 for "thematic material involving sexuality, violence and combat sequences, and for language." This marked director Zach Snyder's first live-action PG-13 movie, as his previous ones (Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen) were all rated R. The rating indicated an obvious attempt at welcoming a younger audience, which seems logical considering that Sucker Punch's main female characters all appear to be teenagers. Sucker Punch opens March 25 opposite Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules.
Unsurprisingly, Scream 4 received an R rating for "strong bloody violence, language and some teen drinking." That's the same rating as the previous three Scream movies, which combined to earn over $500 million worldwide. Scream 4 opens April 15 against Blue Sky Animation's Rio.
Limitless earned a PG-13 rating for "thematic material involving a drug, violence including disturbing images, sexuality and language." The Bradley Cooper-Robert De Niro thriller shares a March 18 release date with Paul and The Lincoln Lawyer.
Hop was rated PG for "some mild rude humor." This was in line with most, if not all, previous family movies with CGI stars like Alvin and the Chipmunks and Yogi Bear. Hop debuts April 1 against Source Code and Insidious.
Disney/DreamWorks period drama The Help scored a PG-13 rating for "thematic material." Starring Emma Stone, Sissy Spacek and many more, The Help opens Aug. 12 versus 30 Minutes or Less and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.
An edited cut of The King's Speech, which removed most of the profanity, was resubmitted for review and received a PG-13 rating for "language." At this moment it's unclear when The Weinstein Company plans to release this edition of their Best Picture winner, though they did issue the following statement:
"We thank the MPAA for their speedy and sensitive consideration of the alternative version of The King's Speech," said TWC COO David Glasser. "We are thrilled that they have assigned this version a PG-13 rating and are very grateful for the waiver of the 90-day withdrawal period. At this time, TWC and the filmmakers are discussing the appropriate next steps."
• MPAA Ratings: 'Real Steel,' 'One for the Money'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Rio,' 'Hall Pass,' 'Battle: Los Angeles' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Red Riding Hood,' 'Larry Crowne,' 'Lincoln Lawyer' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Rango,' 'Something Borrowed'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Just Go With It,' 'The Rite' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Green Hornet,' 'No Strings Attached' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'I Am Number Four,' 'Hanna,' 'Blue Valentine'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Tron Legacy,' 'Little Fockers' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'True Grit,' 'Source Code,' 'Drive Angry'
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Fighter,' 'Paul,' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Tourist,' 'How Do You Know' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Adjustment Bureau,' 'Harry Potter,' 'Monte Carlo'
• New MPAA Ratings Chart