Real Steel was rated PG-13 for "some violence, intense action and brief language." It wasn't a surprising rating, considering that boxing is a generally violent sport (even if it is robot vs. robot). However, it's hard to imagine distributor Walt Disney Pictures is thrilled with this, as the movie's father-son dynamic was going to be a key selling point to families. The studio was able to score a PG rating a few months ago for the mildly violent Tron Legacy, and families no doubt played some part in driving that movie to over $170 million. Real Steel is set to open Oct. 7 against Paul Rudd-Jennifer Aniston comedy Wanderlust.
Katherine Heigl action comedy One for the Money earned a PG-13 for "violence, sexual references and language, some drug material and partial nudity." This was similar to Heigl's last action-oriented movie, Killers, which earned $47.1 million last summer. One for the Money is slated for a July 8 debut opposite fellow comedies Horrible Bosses and Zookeeper, and it wouldn't be surprising to see the Heigl movie bounced from that date at some point.
Justin Bieber: Never Say Never's directors cut was resubmitted to the MPAA and was once again deemed innocuous enough for a G rating. The extended edition, which adds 40 minutes to the hit documentary, will strike theaters this weekend.
The Descendants was now rated R for "language including some sexual references." The latest movie from director Alexander Payne stars George Clooney and is set for distribution at Fox Searchlight. While there's no official date, its pedigree suggests a Fall opening.
Star-studded financial thriller Margin Call was rated R for "language." It was acquired by Lionsgate after receiving positive buzz at Sundance, and should see release later this year.
The First Grader received a PG-13 rating for "some disturbing violent content and brief nudity." National Geographic Entertainment currently has the drama slated for limited release on May 13.
• MPAA Ratings: 'Rio,' 'Hall Pass,' 'Battle: Los Angeles' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Red Riding Hood,' 'Larry Crowne,' 'Lincoln Lawyer' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Rango,' 'Something Borrowed'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Just Go With It,' 'The Rite' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Green Hornet,' 'No Strings Attached' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'I Am Number Four,' 'Hanna,' 'Blue Valentine'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Tron Legacy,' 'Little Fockers' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'True Grit,' 'Source Code,' 'Drive Angry'
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Fighter,' 'Paul,' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Tourist,' 'How Do You Know' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Adjustment Bureau,' 'Harry Potter,' 'Monte Carlo'
• New MPAA Ratings Chart