Kung Fu Panda 2 was rated PG for "sequences of martial arts action and mild violence." This was the same rating as the original Kung Fu Panda, which earned over $630 million worldwide in 2008. The sequel opens Thursday, May 26, and competes against The Hangover Part II over Memorial Day weekend.
Last month, Rio received a PG rating for "mild off color humor." Apparently unhappy with this distinction, producers submitted an edited version to the MPAA and obtained an even more family-friendly G rating. That's the same rating as Blue Sky Animation's Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!, though it's milder than their Ice Age series and Robots. Rio opens April 15 against Scream 4.
The Arthur remake earned a PG-13 for "alcohol use throughout, sexual content, language and some drug references." The original Arthur was rated PG, though that was before the PG-13 rating existed. Star Russell Brand's most noteworthy roles to this point have been in R-rated movies (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Get Him to the Greek), and it remains to be seen if his humor will translate to PG-13. Arthur debuts April 8 opposite Your Highness, Hanna and Soul Surfer.
Anne Hathaway-Jim Sturgess romantic comedy One Day received a PG-13 rating for "sexual content, partial nudity, language, some violence and substance abuse." Director Lone Scherfig's follow-up to An Education is slated for limited release on July 8.
LOL was rated PG-13 for "mature thematic content involving teen sexuality and drug and alcohol use, and for language." The Miley Cyrus comedy has yet to be added to the release schedule, though it does appear that it's found a home with distributor Lionsgate.
The Weinstein Company extended its winning streak with the MPAA this week: the organization opted to reduce Miral from an R rating to a PG-13 for "thematic material, and some violent content including a sexual assault." That marked the third rating that Weinstein has had changed in the past few months, following Blue Valentine and The King's Speech (though they haven't officially announced plans to actually release the PG-13 rated version of Speech).
"The MPAA's decision to overturn the R-rating they originally placed on Miral is very good news," said producer Jon Kilik in a press release. "We are happy to have the MPAA find that our film respected the guidelines of their rating system. To have lost the ability to share Miral with the generation most affected by the story's message would have been at odds with the meaning and purpose of our film."
Finally, Fox Searchlight's Snow Flower and the Secret Fan received a PG-13 rating for "sexuality, violence/disturbing images and drug use." The movie, which features Hugh Jackman in a small role, opens in limited release on July 15.
• MPAA Ratings: 'Sucker Punch,' 'Scream 4,' 'Limitless' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Real Steel,' 'One for the Money'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Rio,' 'Hall Pass,' 'Battle: Los Angeles' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Red Riding Hood,' 'Larry Crowne,' 'Lincoln Lawyer' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Rango,' 'Something Borrowed'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Just Go With It,' 'The Rite' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Green Hornet,' 'No Strings Attached' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'I Am Number Four,' 'Hanna,' 'Blue Valentine'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Tron Legacy,' 'Little Fockers' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'True Grit,' 'Source Code,' 'Drive Angry'
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Fighter,' 'Paul,' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Tourist,' 'How Do You Know' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Adjustment Bureau,' 'Harry Potter,' 'Monte Carlo'
• New MPAA Ratings Chart