Thor was rated PG-13 for "sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence." That's obviously a pretty common rating for major comic book adaptations, and it's in line with previous Avengers movies Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2. Thor kicks off the summer on May 6, where it will face romantic comedies Something Borrowed and Jumping the Broom.
Fast Five earned a PG-13 for "intense sequences of violence and action, sexual content and language." This wasn't a surprise, considering all four prior Fast and the Furious movies were also rated PG-13. Starring series veterans Paul Walker and Vin Diesel along with newcomer Dwayne Johnson, Fast Five opens April 29 against Prom, Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil and Dylan Dog: Dead of Night.
Water for Elephants received a PG-13 for "moments of intense violence and sexual content." That rating ensured easy admission for most of star Robert Pattinson's fans, though that didn't help with Remember Me last Spring. Adapted from the New York Times bestseller of the same name, Water for Elephants hits theaters April 22 opposite Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family and African Cats.
Among limited releases, Warner Herzog documentary Cave of Forgotten Dreams was tagged with a G rating, while British comedy Submarine earned an R rating for "language and some sexual content." The movies are set to open on April 29 and June 3, respectively.
• MPAA Ratings: 'Kung Fu Panda 2,' 'Rio,' 'Arthur' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Sucker Punch,' 'Scream 4,' 'Limitless' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Real Steel,' 'One for the Money'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Rio,' 'Hall Pass,' 'Battle: Los Angeles' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Red Riding Hood,' 'Larry Crowne,' 'Lincoln Lawyer' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Rango,' 'Something Borrowed'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Just Go With It,' 'The Rite' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Green Hornet,' 'No Strings Attached' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'I Am Number Four,' 'Hanna,' 'Blue Valentine'
• New MPAA Ratings Chart