The movie earned a stunning $158 million from 58 markets this weekend. That's the second-biggest weekend ever for Universal Pictures International (behind Fast & Furious 6), and included their biggest single day ever (Valentine's Day at $55.1 million).
The movie set opening weekend records in 11 markets, including Italy ($9.1 million), Argentina and Poland. It also set a record for Universal Pictures in the U.K. ($21.1 million), France ($12 million), Russia ($10.5 million) and Brazil ($8.9 million). Other key markets include Germany ($15.2 million), Australia ($8.6 million), Mexico ($8.1 million) and Spain ($7.9 million).
The movie has a few more markets left to open, including South Korea later this month. It will be interesting to see how it holds up in the coming weeks; even if it drops like a rock, though, it should still wind up well over $300 million. For comparison, the biggest R-rated movies internationally are The Matrix Reloaded ($461 million), Troy ($364 million), The Hangover Part II ($332 million) and Ted ($331 million).
In a distant second place, Kingsman: The Secret Service expanded to a total of 38 markets and earned an estimated $23.1 million this weekend. It opened to $5.4 million in South Korea and $3.6 million in Russia, both of which were above X-Men: First Class. To date, Kingsman has earned $43.8 million overseas, and is set to reach another 24 markets next weekend.
In its second weekend, Jupiter Ascending fell 54 percent to an estimated $15.6 million. The movie has now grossed $58.9 million overseas, and still has Australia, China and Japan on the way.
The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water added $13.5 million from 29 markets, which brings its total to $46.3 million. It had a solid $3.1 million debut in Russia; next weekend, the movie expands in to France, South Korea and Germany.
Discuss this story with fellow Box Office Mojo fans on Facebook. On Twitter, follow us at @boxofficemojo, and follow author Ray Subers at @raysubers.
• 'Fifty Shades' to Dominate Valentine's Day Box Office
• 'Jupiter Ascending' Crushed By Super 'SpongeBob'
This Timeframe in Past Years:
• 2014 - 'LEGO Movie' Dominates President's Day Weekend
• 2013 - 'Die Hard' Narrowly Wins Presidents Day Weekend
• 2012 - 'Safe House' Secures Presidents Day Lead
• 2011 - 'Unknown' Takes Top Spot, 'Number Four' Is Number Three
• 2010 - 'Valentine's Day' Massacres Presidents' Day Record
• 2009 - 'Friday the 13th' Hacks Up Top Spot
• 2008 - 'Jumper' Teleports to the Top
• 2007 - 'Ghost Rider' Blazes in Debut
• 2006 - 'Eight Below' Enjoys Warm Reception
• 2005 - 'Constantine' Smokes in Debut
• Weekend Box Office Results
• 2015 Domestic Box Office