The movie's biggest market was Russia, where it took first place with $4.7 million. It also took the top spot in a handful of smaller Asian markets.
Otherwise, though, Jupiter's debuts were unremarkable: it opened to $2.5 million in France, $2.1 million in South Korea, and $2 million in the U.K., and wound up between $1 and $2 million in Brazil, Mexico, Germany, Italy and Spain.
The big-budget sci-fi flick expands in to Australia in two weeks, and then reaches China and Japan in March.
Playing in 25 markets, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water added $16.2 million this weekend. According to Paramount, that's five-and-a-half times as much as the first SpongeBob movie earned across the same group of territories.
The movie opened in first place in Brazil and Spain with $4.6 million and $1.9 million, respectively. Meanwhile, it held on to the top spot in Mexico with $2.4 million.
The first SpongeBob movie earned around $55 million overseas; this outing is already at $26.8 million, and should pass the original's total in the next week or two.
Big Hero 6 earned $12.7 million in 33 markets this weekend, which brings its international total to $286.6 million. It also crossed $500 million worldwide, making it Disney's fourth 2014 release to reach that milestone. The movie still has France and China on the way, and has a realistic chance of ultimately finishing above $600 million.
Taken 3 added $11.2 million this weekend, and has now earned $182 million total. It opens in Italy on Wednesday, and also still has a China debut on the horizon.
Discuss this story with fellow Box Office Mojo fans on Facebook. On Twitter, follow us at @boxofficemojo, and follow author Ray Subers at @raysubers.
• 'SpongeBob' To Take Down 'Sniper' on First Weekend of February
• 'American Sniper' Adds $30 Million in Third Weekend
This Timeframe in Past Years:
• 2014 - Everything Is Awesome For 'The LEGO Movie'
• 2013 - 'Identity Thief' Cashes Big Check
• 2012 - Moviegoers Say "I Do" to 'The Vow,' Check In to 'Safe House'
• 2011 - 'Just,' 'Justin,' 'Juliet' Jumpin'
• 2010 - 'Valentine's Day' Massacres Presidents' Day Record
• 2009 - 'He's Just' a Hit Over Busy Weekend
• 2007 - 'Norbit' Out-Grosses 'Hannibal'
• 2006 - 'Pink Panther' Slinks Past 'Destination'
• 2005 - 'Hitch' Scores Romantic Comedy Record
• Weekend Box Office Results
• 2014 Domestic Box Office