The final installment in the popular action franchise added $31 million from 48 markets, which brings its early international total to $97.6 million. It held on to first place in the U.K. with $5.5 million, and debuted in Germany ($4.4 million), Russia ($2.2 million) and Spain ($1.2 million). It also scored $2.5 million in the Philippines, which is the second-biggest opening ever for 20th Century Fox.
Seventh Son added $21.7 million for a new total of $60.5 million. Most of that came from China, where it opened to a solid $15 million. It also took first place in Mexico with $2.9 million. The long-delayed fantasy movie reaches the U.S. on February 6th.
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb grossed $17.8 million this weekend, which includes a $3.9 million debut in South Korea. So far, the final installment in the franchise has grossed $178 million.
Penguins of Madagascar earned $16.3 million this weekend, which brings its total to $224.3 million. In Brazil, it opened in first place with an impressive $5.1 million. On a worldwide basis, the DreamWorks Animation spin-off has now taken in over $300 million.
American Sniper expanded in to seven new markets and earned an estimated $9.3 million this weekend. That includes $3.6 million in the U.K.—Clint Eastwood's biggest debut ever—and $1.2 million in South Korea. It expands in to Australia next weekend, then reaches France, Brazil, Mexico, Spain, Japan and Germany in February.
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies passed $800 million worldwide this weekend. On Friday, the final installment in Peter Jackson's Middle Earth trilogy opens in China.
Discuss this story with fellow Box Office Mojo fans on Facebook. On Twitter, follow us at @boxofficemojo, and follow author Ray Subers at @raysubers.
• 'Sniper' Sets Sights on January Record
• 'Sniper' Sets January Record with Stunning $89 Million Debut
This Timeframe in Past Years:
• 2014 - 'Ride Along' Cruises to January Record
• 2013 - 'Mama' Haunts First Place Over MLK Weekend
• 2012 - 'Contraband' Hijacks MLK Weekend
• 2011 - 'Green Hornet Kicks Into Top Gear Over MLK Weekend
• 2010 - 'Avatar' Reigns with Record MLK Gross
• 2009 - 'Paul Blart' Does Part in Record MLK Weekend
• 2008 - 'Cloverfield' Clobbers MLK Record
• 2007 - 'Stomp' Steps Up
• 2006 - 'Glory Road' Glides Past 'Hoodwinked' in MLK Photo Finish
• 2005 - 'Coach Carter' Delivers $29M Win
• Weekend Box Office Results
• Yearly Box Office