Thus Minions is now vying for the title of the biggest animated opening of all time (not adjusted for inflation). It appears it will surpass 2004's Shrek 2 with $108M ($919.8M worldwide cume), 2010's Toy Story 3 with $110.3M ($1.06B worldwide cume), and even 2007's mammoth Shrek the Third opening with $121.6M ($799M worldwide cume).
Warner Bros. is reporting that The Gallows, their R-rated horror flick, made $4.5M in 2,720 venues for an estimated $10.8M weekend (depending on how the Twitter-sphere treats it).
Focus Features' Self/Less, with Ryan Reynolds and Ben Kingsley, opened in 2,353 venues and made $1.9M on its way to a likely, feeble $5M weekend.
Discuss this story with fellow Box Office Mojo fans on Facebook. On Twitter, follow us at @boxofficemojo
- Friday Report: Box Office Do-'Minion'
- 'Inside' Holds Out for #1
This Weekend in Past Years:
• 2014 - Weekend Report: 'Apes' Goes Bananas
• 2013 - 'Pacific Rim' Loses to Family Sequels
• 2012 - 'Ice Age' Doesn't Melt in Fourth Outing
• 2011 - 'Harry' Makes History• 2010 - 'Despicable Me' Dominates, 'Predators' Solid But Unspectacular
• 2009 - 'Bruno' Not as Brawny as 'Borat'
• 2008 - 'Hellboy II' Sizzles
• 2007 - 'Harry Potter' Flies with the Phoenix
• 2006 - 'Pirates' Pilfer More Records
• 2005 - 'Charlie,' 'Crashers' Draw Golden Box Office Ticket
• Weekend Box Office Results
• All-Time Domestic