It joins the other two Hobbit movies—and the last two Lord of the Rings movies—in that $900-million-plus club.
In its second weekend in China, the final chapter in the Hobbit trilogy added $20.3 million, which brings its total there to $92.6 million. Overall, it has now earned $664.4 million overseas and $916 million worldwide.
Ultimately, it could wind up passing The Desolation of Smaug's $960 million total; however, reaching $1 billion now seems to be out of the question.
Taken 3 added $21.3 million this weekend, which included a solid $3.5 million start in Mexico. To date, the final installment in the action franchise has earned $162.8 million overseas.
Playing in 37 territories, Big Hero 6 earned an estimated $20.1 million this weekend. It opened in second place in the U.K. with $6 million ($6.8 million including previews), which is 15 percent lower than Frozen. It also held on to first place in Japan, where it has now grossed $63 million. To date, Big Hero 6 has earned $266.6 million overseas, and still has France and China on the way in February.
American Sniper added $11.6 million, which brings its total to $68.3 million. The Clint Eastwood war drama still has France, Brazil, Mexico, Spain, Japan and Germany on the way in late February.
A week ahead of its U.S. debut, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water opened to an estimated $8 million across five markets. Most of that came in Mexico, where the movie took in a very strong $6.7 million. Along with the U.S., SpongeBob also reaches Brazil and Spain next weekend.
Kingsman: The Secret Service opened to $6.5 million in the U.K. this weekend. The comic book adaptation, directed by Matthew Vaughn, expands to the U.S. on February 13th.
Discuss this story with fellow Box Office Mojo fans on Facebook. On Twitter, follow us at @boxofficemojo, and follow author Ray Subers at @raysubers.
• 'Sniper' Set to Three-Peat Over Super Bowl Weekend
• 'Sniper' Scores Stunning $64 Million in Second Weekend
This Timeframe in Past Years:
• 2014 - 'Ride Along' Avoids 'Awkward Moment,' Three-peats Over Super Bowl Weekend
• 2013 - 'Warm Bodies' Tops Gloomy Super Bowl Weekend
• 2012 - 'Chronicle' Barely Overpowers 'Woman in Black'
• 2011 - 'Roommate' Bunks on Top, 'Sanctum' Stuck in Cave
• 2010 - 'Dear John' Delivers, 'Avatar' Flies High Again
• 2009 - 'Taken' Captures Super Bowl Weekend
• 2007 - 'Messengers' Carry Super Bowl Weekend
• 2006 - 'When a Stranger' Dials Up Super Bowl Record
• 2005 - 'Boogeyman' Creeps Into First
• Weekend Box Office Results
• 2014 Domestic Box Office