‘Punisher’ Among Post-Thanksgiving Turkeys
Punisher: War Zone tried to reboot the franchise after the disappointment of The Punisher in 2004, like The Incredible Hulk versus Hulk from 2003, but its marketing campaign was murky and made no attempt to entice those unfamiliar with the character. What's more, distributor Lionsgate released the similar Transporter 3 last week, stealing some of its thunder.
Also opening, Cadillac Records made almost as much as Punisher: War Zone from a fraction of the theaters, though it was hardly grooving. The music drama notched $3.4 million at 686 sites. Caper picture Nobel Son played to empty houses, snaring $333,912 at 893 locations out of the gate.
In limited release, Milk and Slumdog Millionaire each ranked in the Top 12 again with relatively good numbers, and Frost/Nixon debuted at three sites and garnered $180,708. By virtue of its small theater count, the high-profile drama had a grand per theater average, but it's too early to tell if it's a success or not. Distributor Universal Pictures will roll it out to 39 venues on Dec. 12, followed by a major expansion to around 350 on Christmas day.
• 'Four Christmases,' 'Twilight' Hold Post-Thanksgiving...
• 'Four Christmases' Rushes Thanksgiving
• 'Bolt' Holds, 'Twilight' Fades
This Weekend in Past Years:
• 2007 - 'Enchanted' Tops Slow Weekend
• 2006 - 'Happy Feet,' 'Casino' Repeat, 'Nativity' Meek
• 2005 - 'Aeon Flux' Flounders
• 2004 - 'National Treasure,' 'Polar Express' Measure Up
• Weekend Box Office Results