Friday Report: 'Inside Out' 2nd Best but Beats 'Jurassic'
by Keith Simanton
June 20, 2015
Disney is reporting that Pixar's Inside Out took in an estimated $34.2M at 3,946 locations Friday, becoming the second best Pixar opening day after Toy Story 3, which hauled in $41.1M nearly five years ago on June 18th, 2010.
That puts Inside Out in the range of $84M to $89M for the weekend, making it Pixar's 2nd largest opening weekend, behind Toy Story 3 with $110.3M and ahead of Monsters University with $82.4M. It's Pixar's best opening for a film that's not a sequel and well ahead of the current holder of that title, The Incredibles, which opened with $70.5M in 2004.
It seems likely that Toy Story 3 will retain its title of Pixar's #1 opening weekend film once the Monday actuals are in. The third installment in the beloved Toy Story franchise made $10,216 per theater in its 4,028 venues in 2010. Inside Out's per theater take yesterday was $8,667. With an "A" CinemaScore word-of-mouth/tweet will likely retain its momentum, if not even accelerate it.
Inside Out's $34.2M was good enough, however, to best Jurassic World's Friday gross, which Universal pegs at $29.1M. Both Universal and Disney put the record-smashing dino-flick to retain the top spot at the weekend box office with $100M-$105M.
The well-reviewed Sundance hit Dope made $2.4M in its 2,002 venues, pacing lower than expected.
Spy, still in 3,558 theaters posted a $3.1M Friday, a per screen average of $864.
Discuss this story with fellow Box Office Mojo fans on Facebook. On Twitter, follow us at @boxofficemojo
- 'Inside Out' 'Jurassic' In
- 'Jurassic''s World
- Weekend Report: 'Jurassic World' Indomitable, Rex Box Office
- 'Jurassic' Knocks It Outta the Park
- 'Jurassic''s Thursday-saurus Rex
- 'Jurassic' Takes Over the World
This Weekend in Past Years:
• 2014 - Weekend Report: 'Jump Street' Sequel Scores, 'Dragon' Disappoints
• 2013 - 'Man of Steel' Soars, Scores New June Record
• 2012 - Circus Afros Beat 80s Hairdos
• 2011 - 'Green Lantern' Not the Brightest Bulb
• 2010 - Pixar Pounds Its 'Toy' Chest
• 2009 - Lush 'Hangover,' 'Up' Linger Over Typical 'Taking'
• 2007 - 'Fantastic' Sequel Storms Top Spot
• 2006 - Flagging 'Cars' Pins Chipper 'Nacho'
• 2005 - 'Batman Begins' in the Shadows
• Weekend Box Office Results
• All-Time Domestic