Around-the-World Roundup: Final 'Hobbit' Passes $400 Million Overseas
by Ray Subers
December 29, 2014
|The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies|| |
For the third weekend in a row, the final chapter of the Hobbit trilogy dominated the international box office.
Playing in 62 markets, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies added $89.2 million this weekend. That brings its total to a very strong $405.1 million.
It opened in first place in Australia with $10.1 million, and is now the highest-grossing movie of the year in Germany with $56.2 million. Its final major market is China, where it opens on January 23rd.
Exodus: Gods and Kings opened in a handful of significant territories and had its biggest weekend yet with $31 million. Ridley Scott's Biblical epic opened to a massive $6.7 million in Brazil (second all-time for Fox International), and also put up good numbers in France ($5.3 million), the U.K. ($4.25 million) and Germany ($3.6 million). The movie has now earned over $96 million, and expands in to Russia next weekend.
Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb added $30 million, which brings its early total to $47.8 million. It had a huge $5.8 million first place debut in Mexico, but was less impressive in Australia ($2.8 million) and Spain ($1.74 million). It also opened to $3.1 million in Malaysia, which is more than the previous Night at the Museum movies earned in their entire runs there.
Disney Animation's Big Hero 6 continued its slow and steady roll-out this weekend. The movie opened to $3.2 million in Australia and $2.8 million in Brazil ($4.5 million including previews). Meanwhile, it's already up to $17.2 million in Japan. Overall, Big Hero 6 added $24.7 million for an early total of $120.9 million.
Penguins of Madagascar added $16.1 million this weekend, which brings its total to $159.6 million.
Discuss this story with fellow Box Office Mojo fans on Facebook. On Twitter, follow us at @boxofficemojo, and follow author Ray Subers at @raysubers.
• 'Hobbit,' 'Unbroken,' 'Into the Woods' Score on Final Weekend of 2014
• 'Hobbit' Emerges Victorious in Final Box Office 'Battle'
This Timeframe in Past Years:
• 2013 - 'Hobbit,' 'Frozen' Top 'Wolf,' 'Mitty' on Final Weekend of 2013
• 2012 - 'Hobbit' Holds Off 'Django' on Final Weekend of 2012
• 2011 - No Stopping 'M:I-4' Over New Year's
• 2010 - 'Fockers' Frowned Upon, 'Grit' Glowers Over New Year's
• 2009 - Christmas Booms with 'Avatar,' 'Sherlock,' 'Alvin'
• 2008 - 'Marley' Retrieves Box Office Luster Over Christmas
• 2007 - 'Museum' Exhibits Holiday Clout
• 2005 - 'Chronicles' Conk Out 'King' on New Year's Weekend
• Weekend Box Office Results
• Yearly Box Office