Around-the-World Roundup: 'Mockingjay' Repeats, 'Interstellar' Nears $400 Million
by Ray Subers
November 30, 2014
|The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1|| |
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 held on to first place at the overseas box office for the second week in a row.
Playing in 86 markets, the third installment in the popular franchise fell 56 percent to $67 million, which brings its total to $254.4 million. The movie's biggest markets were the U.K. ($8.2 million), Germany ($7 million), France ($5.3 million) and Australia ($5 million).
Mockingjay has China and Japan on the way in 2015, through its still unclear if it can match Catching Fire's $440 million haul.
Interstellar added $44.4 million this weekend for a new international total of $395.2 million. It held first place for the third weekend in a row in China with $18.1 million. To date, it has earned $106 million there, making it the highest-grossing 2D-only import ever.
In South Korea, it added $7.4 million for a new total of $61 million, and will soon become that market's highest-grossing live-action import since Avatar.
After playing exclusively in China for the past few weeks, Penguins of Madagascar began its international roll-out this weekend. The movie earned $35.6 million, which brings its early total to $62.6 million.
It had a huge $8.2 million debut in Russia, and was also impressive in Italy ($4.6 million) and Germany ($4.2 million). Next weekend, Penguins reaches eight new markets including the U.K.
Coinciding with its domestic debut, Horrible Bosses 2 opened in 42 international markets, where it earned $11.7 million. It delivered so-so results in its four major markets: Russia ($2.3 million), the U.K. ($2 million), Germany ($1 million) and Mexico ($1.13 million).
The first movie was a modest international hit with $92.1 million; based on this tepid opening, it's unclear if the sequel will be able to match that figure.
Discuss this story with fellow Box Office Mojo fans on Facebook. On Twitter, follow us at @boxofficemojo, and follow author Ray Subers at @raysubers.
• Forecast: Katniss to Fend Off 'Penguins,' 'Bosses' Over Thanksgiving
• 'Mockingjay' Can't Catch 'Fire'
This Timeframe in Past Years:
• 2013 - 'Catching Fire,' 'Frozen' Set Thanksgiving Records
• 2012 - 'Twilight,' Bond Dominate Fruitful Thanksgiving
• 2011 - 'Twilight' Leads, 'Muppets' Succeeds Over Thanksgiving Weekend
• 2010 - 'Harry Potter,' 'Tangled' Tower Over Thanksgiving Weekend
• 2009 - Fading 'New Moon' Eclipses 'Twilight,' 'Blind Side' Surges
• 2008 - 'Four Christmases' Rushes Thanksgiving
• 2007 - 'Enchanted' Bewitches Thanksgiving
• 2006 - 'Happy Feet,' 'Casino Royale' Top Thanksgiving
• 2005 - 'Goblet' Gobbles 'Rent'
• Weekend Box Office Results
• Thanksgiving 5-Day Grosses