Universal, who was playing it cool with estimates of $100M for the weekend, are now putting the three-day total at an astonishing $181.4M. Some reports are even putting it higher, at $192.7.
If we stay with the studio's $181.4M that's still the third biggest opening weekend of all time only behind Avengers: Age of Ultron ($191.2M) and Marvel's The Avengers ($207.4).
If you believe Universal is still being conservative in their estimates and go with the $192.7 Jurassic World goes ahead of Ultron as the second biggest opening weekend to date.
This also catapults June from the 6th to the 2nd spot on the top opening weekends by month. Before Jurassic World June stacked up like this:
6th place June — Top film: Man of Steel ($116.6M)
5th place April — Top film: Furious 7 ($147.1M)
4th place March — Top film: The Hunger Games ($152.5M)
3rd place November — Top film: Catching Fire ($158M)
2nd place July — Top film: Deathly Hallows 2 ($169M)
1st place May — Top film: Marvel's The Avengers ($207M)
With that ranking now reshuffled it may cause some execs, who seem to use June as a breather between the opening May salvo and their July kicker, to rethink the viability of opening a massive tentpole in the month.
How'd we get here? The terrific $18.5M on Thursday night and its impressive international launch on Wednesday proved to be like the ripples in the water glass in the original Jurassic Park, warning that something big was coming. The scary thing? Jurassic World isn't done yet.
Discuss this story with fellow Box Office Mojo fans on Facebook. On Twitter, follow us at @boxofficemojo
This Weekend in Past Years:
• 2014 - Weekend Report: 'Jump Street' Sequel Scores, 'Dragon' Disappoints
• 2013 - 'Man of Steel' Soars, Scores New June Record
• 2012 - Circus Afros Beat 80s Hairdos
• 2011 - 'Green Lantern' Not the Brightest Bulb• 2010 - Pixar Pounds Its 'Toy' Chest
• 2009 - Lush 'Hangover,' 'Up' Linger Over Typical 'Taking'
• 2007 - 'Fantastic' Sequel Storms Top Spot
• 2006 - Flagging 'Cars' Pins Chipper 'Nacho'
• 2005 - 'Batman Begins' in the Shadows
• Weekend Box Office Results
• All-Time Domestic