I Hate You, Dad, starring Sandler and Saturday Night Live's Andy Samberg, is now scheduled for June 22, opposite Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. According to Sony's press release, the movie "centers on a father (Sandler) who moves in on the eve of his son's (Samberg) wedding and promptly begins feuding with the bride-to-be." There's no word on whether frequent Sandler collaborator Dennis Dugan will serve as director of the project. With the exception of Funny People in 2009, Adam Sandler's last six summer comedies have grossed north of $100 million.
Here Comes the Boom stars James as "a high school biology teacher who moonlights as a mixed-martial arts fighter in an effort to raise money to save the school's music program." Sony decided on a July 27 date for the comedy, where it currently has no competition. James' first three major big-screen roles - Hitch, Paul Blart: Mall Cop and Grown Ups - were all huge hits, though he hit his first roadblock with The Dilemma earlier this year. Frank Coraci is set to direct Here Comes the Boom, and he previously directed James in this summer's Zookeeper.
Total Recall (2012) is now slated to hit theaters on Aug. 3 against The Bourne Legacy, though it's inevitable that one of these big-budget, male-oriented movies will relocate elsewhere on the calendar. Directed by Len Wiseman (Underworld, Live Free or Die Hard) and starring Colin Farrell, the movie is a remake of 1990 sci-fi classic and Phillip K. Dick adaptation Total Recall. That movie, which starred Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sharon Stone, earned $119.4 million ($226 million adjusted for ticket price inflation).
"We love comedy in the summer and you can't ask for better stars than Adam Sandler and Kevin James," said Jeff Blake, chairman, Worldwide Marketing and Distribution for Sony Pictures. "Total Recall has us excited not only because of its incredible pedigree—we love the original story and the first film—but we think this new project will really hit home with a new generation of moviegoers."
• Release Schedule: New Dates & Changes
Recent Release Date News
• 2012's Second Snow White Scheduled
• Fox Shuffles 2011, Adds 'Prometheus' to 2012
• WB Moves 2011 Comedies
• 'Paranormal Activity 3' to Haunt Next October
• 'Conan 3D,' '21 Jump Street,' 'Bourne Legacy' Stake Out Dates
• 'Iron Man 3' to Launch Summer 2013
• Disney Shuffles 2011 Schedule, Removes Miramax Movies
• 'The Tourist' Vacations in December
• Disney Shifts 'Monsters Inc. 2,' Drops Two Others
• 'Breaking Dawn' Officially Split in Two, 'Part Two' Nabs Date
• 'Fighter' Set to Enter Ring This December
• 'Footloose' Remake Dances to Date
• New 'Thing' Flings Into 2011
• 'The Muppets' Return Christmas 2011