Holiday 2014 Forecast
The "holiday" box office season kicks off next week with Interstellar and Big Hero 6, and runs through Christmas. Before the season officially begins, we're unveiling our predictions for what will be the highest-grossing movies at the domestic box office.
The next eight weeks feature a few guaranteed blockbusters, including the penultimate chapter of the Hunger Games series and the final installment in the Hobbit trilogy. Writer/director Christopher Nolan's Interstellar also seems to fit in to that category, though its box office may not quite match up with the hype.
Meanwhile, the season is overflowing with family entertainment. Big Hero 6 and Penguins of Madagascar are the animated offerings, while December brings three Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb, Annie and Into the Woods.
Other major contenders include Exodus: Gods and Kings, Unbroken, Horrible Bosses 2 and The Interview.
We'll unveil our predictions for the Top 12 over the next few days, beginning with the de facto winner (The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1). Afterwards, we'll include some thoughts about the rest of the season's releases.
Note: All predictions are for domestic box office only.
Forecast (click titles for analysis):
1. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 - $385 million
2. Interstellar - $265 million
3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - $235 million4. Big Hero 6 - $215 million
5. Into the Woods - $140 million
6. Penguins of Madagascar - $135 million
7. Exodus: Gods and Kings - $130 million
8. Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb - $120 million
9. Unbroken - $105 million
10. Horrible Bosses 2 - $100 million
11. Annie - $95 million
12. The Interview - $90 million
A look at the rest of the late-year contenders >>
Discuss this story with fellow Box Office Mojo fans on Facebook. On Twitter, follow us at @boxofficemojo, and follow author Ray Subers at @raysubers.
• Grading Mojo's Summer 2014 Forecast
• Summer 2014 Forecast
• Which 2014 Movies Could Reach $1 Billion?• Grading Mojo's Holiday Forecast
• Holiday 2013 Forecast
• Grading Mojo's Summer Forecast
• Summer 2013 Forecast
• Holiday 2012 Forecast
• Summer 2012 Winners/Losers
• Summer 2012 Domestic Forecast
• Summer 2012 Foreign Forecast
• Holiday 2014 Release Schedule
• 2014 Grosses (2014-only releases)
• Year-to-Date Comparison