'Fahrenheit 9/11' Records & Holiday Screen Count
July 1, 2004
Critically-Acclaimed Film's Final Opening Weekend Take is $23.9 Million on 868 Screens; Film Achieves Milestone of the Highest Gross of Film on Less Than 1000 Screens
Film to Be on 1710 Screens for Independence Day Holiday Weekend
$23.9 million on just 868 screens, and a five day total of $24.1 million, it was announced by Tom Ortenberg, President of Lions Gate Films Releasing, and Jonathan Sehring, President of IFC Entertainment. They also confirmed that the film will expand to 1710 screens for the Fourth of July weekend and
are very happy to be bringing it to a wider audience across the country this coming Independence Day weekend," remarked Ortenberg.
"It's gratifying to see how Fahrenheit 9/11 has strongly engaged audiences and is poised
- Film achieved a final $27,558 per screen average on 868 screens
- First film under 1000 screens to take the #1 weekend box office spot since 1994 (beating previous record holder "Four Weddings and a Funeral") 91% rated the film excellent, 93% said they would definitely recommend (film opened in all 50 states Nationwide)
- Best Saturday to Sunday hold for the year of non-holiday adult film
- Film had the best percentage hold from Saturday to Sunday of any non-kids film this year excepting Memorial Day weekend
- Film had the best Sunday-Monday hold of any film in the top 10
- Film's box office on Monday, June 28 was a very strong $4.4 million; Tuesday's take was $3.8 million Monday and Tuesday sales for "Fahrenheit 9/11" on Fandango beat those for "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" during the same period following its opening weekend
- All time box-office weekend record for any film released on less than 1000 screens, beating 1982's "Rocky III" ® winner "Bowling for Columbine", Michael Moore's previous release, which was in theatrical release for nine months
This year's winner of the prestigious Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival, FAHRENHEIT 9/11 is being released by a coalition of companies that includes Bob and Harvey Weinstein's Fellowship Adventure Group, a newly-created special-purpose company; Lions Gate Films (AMEX and TSX: LGF); and IFC Films. Pay TV rights will be handled by Showtime, Lions Gate's Pay TV partner.
FAHRENHEIT 9/11 is Michael Moore's first feature film since BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE, which won the 2003 Academy Award® for Best Documentary Feature. FAHRENHEIT 9/11 brought Moore his first Palme d'Or and his second major award from the Cannes Film Festival, following the 55th Anniversary Prize he received at the 2002 Festival. Moore is the first documentary filmmaker in cinema history to be honored twice at Cannes.
Lions Gate Entertainment is the premier independent producer and distributor of motion pictures, television programming, home entertainment, family entertainment and video-on-demand content. Its prestigious and prolific library of approximately 8000 titles is one of the largest in the entertainment industry. The Lions Gate brand name is synonymous with original, daring, quality entertainment in markets around the globe.
IFC Entertainment consists of IFC Productions, a production company that provides financing for select independent feature films and offers filmmakers unusual creative freedom to realize their personal cinematic visions; IFC Films, a leading theatrical film distribution company bringing the best of independent and specialized films to theaters; and InDigEnt, an initiative for established filmmakers to explore the medium of digital video.
For further information about FAHRENHEIT 9/11, please log onto:
www.fahrenheit911film.com , or www.lionsgatefilms.com