MPAA Ratings: 'Rio,' 'Hall Pass,' 'Battle: Los Angeles' and More
by Ray Subers
February 15, 2011
|Hall Pass|| |
The Motion Picture Association of America's Classification and Ratings Administration announced new ratings for Rio, Hall Pass and Battle: Los Angeles in their weekly bulletin this afternoon.
Rio was rated PG for "mild off color humor." Among Blue Sky Animation movies, this was in line with the Ice Age series and Robots, but above Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!'s G rating. Featuring the voices of Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway and Neil Patrick Harris, Rio opens April 15 against Scream 4.
Less than two weeks before it hits theaters, Hall Pass received an R rating for "crude and sexual humor throughout, language, some graphic nudity and drug use." This was similar to previous Farrelly Bros. hits There's Something About Mary and Me, Myself and Irene, though the rating didn't do much to help The Heartbreak Kid ($36.8 million). It's also in line with star Owen Wilson's thematically-similar Wedding Crashers. Hall Pass debuts next Friday opposite Drive Angry and Shelter.
Battle: Los Angeles earned a PG-13 rating for "sustained and intense sequences of war violence and destruction, and for language." That's a common rating for an alien invasion movie, with District 9 standing out as the only major exception in the past decade. Battle: Los Angeles lands in theaters on March 11 along with Red Riding Hood and Mars Needs Moms (also featuring aliens).
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules was rated PG for "some mild rude humor and mischief." That's the same as the first Wimpy Kid movie, which grossed over $64 million last Spring. Rodrick Rules opens March 25 against Zack Snyder's Sucker Punch.
A handful of limited releases also received ratings this week. Warner Bros. latest IMAX movie, Born to Be Wild, earned a G rating. Director Julian Schnabel's Miral was rated R for "some violent content including a sexual assault." Finally, horror comedy Rubber received an R rating for "some violent images and language," while drama White Irish Drinkers also scored an R rating for "pervasive language, some sexuality and violence."
• MPAA Ratings: 'Red Riding Hood,' 'Larry Crowne,' 'Lincoln Lawyer' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Bridesmaids,' 'Justin Bieber,' 'Winnie the Pooh'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Rango,' 'Something Borrowed'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Just Go With It,' 'The Rite' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Green Hornet,' 'No Strings Attached' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'I Am Number Four,' 'Hanna,' 'Blue Valentine'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Tron Legacy,' 'Little Fockers' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'True Grit,' 'Source Code,' 'Drive Angry'
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Fighter,' 'Paul,' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Tourist,' 'How Do You Know' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Adjustment Bureau,' 'Harry Potter,' 'Monte Carlo'
• New MPAA Ratings Chart