Disney Shuffles 2011 Schedule, Removes Miramax Movies
by Ray Subers
October 14, 2010
|The Debt|| |
Walt Disney Pictures officially announced a handful of release date changes this morning that affect both Disney's 2011 calendar and subsidiary Miramax's slate.
Steven Spielberg's War Horse has been pushed back from Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2011, to Wednesday, Dec. 28, 2011. If this date holds, War Horse will open just five days after The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn, also directed by Spielberg. War Horse tells the story of a boy who goes off to fight in World War I in order to find his farm horse who has been sold in to the French Army. It's currently the only movie scheduled for the week after Christmas 2011.
Disney moved Real Steel up from Nov. 18, 2011 to Oct. 7, 2011. Directed by Shawn Levy, Real Steel stars Hugh Jackman as a boxing promoter in a near future where robots do the fighting. It's now set to open opposite Paul Rudd-Jennifer Aniston comedy Wanderlust.
Real Steel takes the place of the Fright Night remake, which has been moved up to Aug. 19, 2011. The 3D horror comedy stars Anton Yelchin, Toni Collette, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Colin Farrell, and will face Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World.
Besides shuffling some dates, Disney also officially added The Help to its release schedule. Set in Mississippi in the 1960s, the drama stars Emma Stone as a young woman who sparks change when she decides to start interviewing the black housekeepers in her community. The Help is set to debut on Aug. 12, 2011 against adventure comedy 30 Minutes or Less.
Since Disney is in the process of selling specialty division Miramax, it has decided to remove two of Miramax's upcoming movies from the calendar. Thriller The Debt and Guillermo Del Toro-produced horror movie Don't Be Afraid of the Dark were previously scheduled for Dec. 29 and Jan. 21, respectively, but are now listed as undated.
Recent Release Date News
• 'The Tourist' Vacations in December
• Disney Shifts 'Monsters Inc. 2,' Drops Two Others
• 'Breaking Dawn' Officially Split in Two, 'Part Two' Nabs Date
• 'Red Riding Hood,' Steve Carell Comedy Make Spring 2011 Shift
• 'Fighter' Set to Enter Ring This December
• 'Footloose' Remake Dances to Date
• New 'Thing' Flings Into 2011
• 'The Muppets' Return Christmas 2011
• 'Sherlock Holmes 2' to Face-Off with 'Mission: Impossible 4' and 'Chipmunks 3'
• 3D 'Three Musketeers' Swings Into April 2011
• 'Final Destination 5,' 'Journey 2,' 'Valentine's Follow-up Snare 2011 Dates
• Release Schedule: New Dates & Changes