MPAA Ratings: 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part One)'
by Ray Subers
October 5, 2010
|Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part One)|| |
The Motion Picture Association of America's Classification and Ratings Administration released their weekly bulletin this afternoon, and it included the much-anticipated rating for the beginning of the end of the Harry Potter series.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part One) was rated PG-13 for "some sequences of intense action violence and frightening images." The franchise has had a somewhat interesting ratings history. The first three movies were all PG, though it was clear by Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban that the series was heading in a darker direction. The next two entries, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, were both rated PG-13 for "sequences of fantasy violence and frightening images." Most fans expected the sixth movie to follow suit, due to the grim and intense nature of the book. However, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ended up with a PG rating for "scary images, some violence, language and mild sensuality."
Though all of the Harry Potter movies have been massively successful at the box office, it's worth pointing out that the only two to cross the $300 million mark were PG-rated Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone ($317.6 million) and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ($302 million). The PG-13-rated Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part One) opens in 3D and IMAX 3D on Nov. 19 opposite Paul Haggis thriller The Next Three Days.
Animated movie Gnomeo and Juliet also received its rating this week, with the MPAA deeming it harmless enough for a G. The 3D movie is currently slated to debut Feb. 11 against fellow 3D entries Drive Angry and the untitled Justin Bieber documentary along with romantic comedies Just Go With It and Monte Carlo.
• 2010 Preview: 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part One)'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Megamind,' 'The Next Three Days'
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Social Network,' 'Morning Glory' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Let Me In,' 'Hereafter' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Avatar: Special Edition,' 'Resident Evil 4,' 'The Town' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Devil,' 'Machete'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Due Date,' 'Red,' 'The American' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Predators,' 'Tree of Life'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Saw VII,' 'The Girl Who Played with Fire'
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Last Airbender,' 'The Expendables,' 'The Last Exorcism'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Salt,' 'Dinner for Schmucks,' 'Jonah Hex' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Knight & Day,' 'Eat Pray Love,' 'Grease Sing-Along' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The A-Team,' 'Step Up 3-D'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Toy Story 3,' 'Grown Ups,' 'Sorcerer's Apprentice,' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Inception,' 'Killers,' 'Cabin in the Woods'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Nightmare on Elm Street,' 'Sex and the City 2,' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Iron Man 2,' 'Going the Distance,' 'The Rum Diary'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Death at a Funeral,' 'Animal Kingdom,' 'Last Night'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Splice,' 'Your Highness,' 'Secretariat'
• New MPAA Ratings Chart