MPAA Ratings: 'Megamind,' 'The Next Three Days'
by Ray Subers
September 21, 2010
The Motion Picture Association of America's Classification and Ratings Administration released ratings for Megamind and The Next Three Days in their weekly ratings bulletin today.
Computer-animated superhero comedy Megamind was rated PG for "action and some language." All DreamWorks Animation titles have been rated PG, with the one exception being the G-rated Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Megamind, which features the voices of Will Ferrell, Brad Pitt, Tina Fey and Jonah Hill, opens Nov. 5 opposite Todd Phillips' Due Date.
The Next Three Days earned a PG-13 rating for "violence, drug material, language, some sexuality and thematic elements." This marked director Paul Haggis's first PG-13 movie, following R-rated releases Crash ($54.6 million) and In the Valley of Elah ($6.8 million). The action thriller, which finds Russell Crowe attempting to break his wife (Elizabeth Banks) out of jail, debuts Nov. 19 against Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part One).
The Red Dawn remake received a PG-13 rating for "sequences of intense war violence and action, and for language. While it remains technically dated for November, distributor MGM's financial woes have likely pushed it back to sometime in 2011.
Political thriller Casino Jack was awarded an R rating for "pervasive language, some violence and brief nudity." The movie details the downfall of Washington, D.C. lobbyist Jack Abramoff (Kevin Spacey), who is currently serving a six-year prison sentence for a handful of corruption-related charges. This isn't the first movie to cover the Abramoff scandal; documentary Casino Jack and the United States of Money opened in May and made $176,865. While Casino Jack has yet to officially receive a release date, it played well at the Toronto International Film Festival and is expected to hit theaters before the end of 2010.
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Social Network,' 'Morning Glory' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Let Me In,' 'Hereafter' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Avatar: Special Edition,' 'Resident Evil 4,' 'The Town' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Devil,' 'Machete'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Due Date,' 'Red,' 'The American' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Predators,' 'Tree of Life'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Saw VII,' 'The Girl Who Played with Fire'
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Last Airbender,' 'The Expendables,' 'The Last Exorcism'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Salt,' 'Dinner for Schmucks,' 'Jonah Hex' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Knight & Day,' 'Eat Pray Love,' 'Grease Sing-Along' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The A-Team,' 'Step Up 3-D'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Toy Story 3,' 'Grown Ups,' 'Sorcerer's Apprentice,' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Inception,' 'Killers,' 'Cabin in the Woods'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Nightmare on Elm Street,' 'Sex and the City 2,' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Iron Man 2,' 'Going the Distance,' 'The Rum Diary'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Death at a Funeral,' 'Animal Kingdom,' 'Last Night'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Splice,' 'Your Highness,' 'Secretariat'
• New MPAA Ratings Chart