MPAA Ratings: 'Predators,' 'Tree of Life'
by Ray Subers
July 7, 2010
The Motion Picture Association of America's Classification and Ratings Administration declared ratings for Predators, The Tree of Life and Stone in today's bulletin.
While commercials have included the rating for some time now, the MPAA officially announced today that Predators was rated R for "strong creature violence and gore, and pervasive language." Aside from the first, PG-13-rated Alien Vs. Predator, all other Predator movies have been rated R. Predators opens this Friday, July 9, opposite Despicable Me.
Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life was awarded a PG-13 rating for "some thematic material." Starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn, the secretive project has been in the works for quite some time, though a rating indicates it may finally be moving towards being released. The Tree of Life is currently set to be distributed by Apparition, though the relatively new company has yet to set an official date.
Robert DeNiro-Edward Norton crime thriller Stone earned an R rating for "strong sexuality and violence, and pervasive language." Distributor Overture Films has the movie slated for an Oct. 8 release, though it's unclear whether it will be a nationwide or limited release pattern. Life as We Know It and Secretariat are also currently scheduled for that date.
Animated import Tales from Earthsea was rated PG-13 for "some violent images." Written and directed by Goro Miyazaki, the son of director Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Ponyo), the movie has made over $68 million overseas since debuting in 2006. Walt Disney Pictures has set Tales from Earthsea for a limited release on Aug. 13 opposite nationwide releases Eat Pray Love, The Expendables and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.
• 2010 Preview: Predators
• MPAA Ratings: 'Saw VII,' 'The Girl Who Played with Fire'
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Last Airbender,' 'The Expendables,' 'The Last Exorcism'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Salt,' 'Dinner for Schmucks,' 'Jonah Hex' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Knight & Day,' 'Eat Pray Love,' 'Grease Sing-Along' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The A-Team,' 'Step Up 3-D'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Toy Story 3,' 'Grown Ups,' 'Sorcerer's Apprentice,' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Inception,' 'Killers,' 'Cabin in the Woods'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Nightmare on Elm Street,' 'Sex and the City 2,' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Iron Man 2,' 'Going the Distance,' 'The Rum Diary'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Death at a Funeral,' 'Animal Kingdom,' 'Last Night'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Splice,' 'Your Highness,' 'Secretariat'
• New MPAA Ratings Chart