MPAA Ratings: 'Saw VII,' 'The Girl Who Played with Fire'
by Ray Subers
June 30, 2010
The Motion Picture Association of America's Classification and Ratings Administration released their weekly ratings bulletin this morning, which included ratings for Saw VII 3D and The Girl Who Played with Fire.
Following in the footsteps of its six predecessors, Saw VII has been rated R for "sequences of grisly bloody violence and torture, and language." While this appears to live up to the series' gore standards, producers hope to take things a step further with the addition of 3D. This change comes in the wake of decent returns for last year's 3D horror titles The Final Destination and My Bloody Valentine 3-D and as a result of Saw VI's miserable run. Due to lazy advertising and unusually strong competition from Paranormal Activity (as well as natural franchise fatigue), Saw VI had by-far the series' worst performance yet, grossing just $27.7 million. Saw VII currently shares its Oct. 22 release date with Paranormal Activity 2.
Foreign sequel The Girl Who Played with Fire was awarded an R rating for "brutal violence including a rape, some strong sexual content, nudity and language." Predecessor The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has made $8.7 million since opening Mar. 19, making it the highest-grossing limited-only release of 2010 thus far. The Girl Who Played with Fire, which has already earned over $50 million overseas, hits select theaters on July 9.
• 2010 Preview: 'Saw VII (in 3D)'
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Last Airbender,' 'The Expendables,' 'The Last Exorcism'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Salt,' 'Dinner for Schmucks,' 'Jonah Hex' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Knight & Day,' 'Eat Pray Love,' 'Grease Sing-Along' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The A-Team,' 'Step Up 3-D'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Toy Story 3,' 'Grown Ups,' 'Sorcerer's Apprentice,' & More
• MPAA Ratings: 'The Twilight Saga: Eclipse'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Inception,' 'Killers,' 'Cabin in the Woods'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Nightmare on Elm Street,' 'Sex and the City 2,' and More
• MPAA Ratings: 'Iron Man 2,' 'Going the Distance,' 'The Rum Diary'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Death at a Funeral,' 'Animal Kingdom,' 'Last Night'
• MPAA Ratings: 'Splice,' 'Your Highness,' 'Secretariat'
• New MPAA Ratings Chart