News

Around the World Roundup: 'Spider-Man 3' Sticks to the Top

by Conor Bresnan
May 21, 2007

Spider-Man 3 led the foreign box office again with $50.5 million over the weekend, down 40 percent. With $466.5 million in the till, it became the highest grossing picture of its franchise overseas.

Breaking Spider-Man 3's weekend down, France was its top market. The superhero sequel dropped a mere four percent there, making $7.3 million for a $47.1 million total. In neighboring Germany, it was almost as impressive, easing 19 percent to $3.7 million for a $25.7 million total. In Belgium, it grew 12 percent for a $4.3 million total while in the Netherlands it fell just 3 percent for a $3.3 million total.

Across the globe, Spider-Man 3 snared $3.8 million in Japan, off 24 percent for a $43.6 million total. However, it fell hard in South Korea, down 56 percent for a $31 million total, and in the Russian markets. Against Shrek the Third's opening, Spider-Man 3 tumbled 80 percent in Russia and 91 percent in the Ukraine.

In Russia, Shrek showed who was king with a record-breaking $11.7 million debut from 445 screens. The computer-animated comedy beat Spider-Man 3's start by 52 percent and topped Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest as well. Shrek the Third also opened in the Ukraine with $1.1 million, the territory's second largest debut ever, and Romania with $120,000, which was the highest-grossing start ever for an animated picture. In the Philippines, the movie excelled with $965,081 from 155 screens, almost matching Shrek 2's final total. Overall, Shrek the Third notched $13.8 million for the weekend, and it's set to roll out nearly everywhere in June.

Jake Gyllenhaal in Zodiac
Debuting in 17 markets, Zodiac looked more impressive than its domestic run with a $9.5 million weekend, ranking third internationally. In France, where the thriller premiered at the Cannes Film Festival and is in contention for the Golden Palm, it nabbed $3.3 million from 376 prints, ranking second. Spain's $1.4 million from 190 prints and Australia's $944,000 from 182 screens were also good, but the United Kingdom and Italy weren't as solid, with $1.6 million from 190 and $874,000 from 223 respectively. Zodiac will hit more markets in June.

Estimates pegged Next at fourth place with $4.1 million for a $24.5 million total. In South Korea, the action thriller's $1.8 million opening from 157 screens was higher than Ghost Rider's earlier this year.

Fracture appears to have placed fifth with $3.5 million for a $16 million total. The thriller remained strong in France with a $2.1 million weekend, down six percent for a $4.9 million total. It also opened well in Germany ($1.2 million from 204 screens), the Netherlands ($298,830 from 51) and Turkey ($171,349 from 49).

28 Weeks Later grossed an estimated $3 million from 13 territories for a $10.3 million total. The horror sequel was off 44 percent in the U.K. to $1.8 million for a $6.7 million total, but dipped 30 percent in Australia. It also debuted in Thailand to $241,719 from 61 screens.

Rising again overseas, Stomp the Yard bagged two solid openings for a $2.3 million weekend and $8.3 million total. In France, the dance drama snatched $1.4 million from 165 screens, ranking fourth and doubling the opening of You Got Served. In Germany, Stomp grossed $786,705 from 150, also ranking fourth.

RELATED LINKS
Foreign Weekend Box Office Results
International Box Office Home Page



RECENT ARTICLES
4/17 Forecast: 'Transcendence' to Trail 'Rio,' 'Captain America' Over Easter
4/16 Forecast: 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Gets Early Start Overseas
4/15 'The Raid 2': Our Fear of Subtitles Strikes Again
4/13 Weekend Report: 'Captain America' Wins Close Fight with 'Rio 2'
4/12 Friday Report: 'Rio 2' Narrowly Defeats 'Captain America'
4/10 Forecast: 'Rio 2,' 'Captain America' Could Both Reach $40 Million This Weekend
> MORE: News | Features
LATEST UPDATES
WEEKLY: April 11-17 (83 tracked)
DAILY: Thursday, 4/17 (26 tracked)
SCHEDULE: 'Seth Rogen / Joseph Gordon-Levitt X-Mas Movie'
THEATERS: 4/25 Estimates
THEATERS: 4/18 Counts
MPAA: New Ratings - 'Million Ways to Die in the West,' 'Jersey Boys,' 'Let's Be Cops' & more... >
FOREIGN CHARTS >
Mexico: Huge start for 'Rio 2' >
Japan: 'Frozen' passes $90M >
Brazil: 'Captain America' takes 1st >
Spain: Five-in-a-row for local hit >
France: 'Rio' tops 'Noah' >
Korea: The 'Captain' three-peats >
> MORE UPDATES